Monday, November 3, 2014

Mustard Monday

Sounds kind of gross, but mustard is one of my favorite colors.  I can't wear a lot of yellows, because they tend to wash me out.  But the bold brightness and often warmer saturation of mustard makes it easier for me to wear.  Yellow is tricky for a lot of people to wear, so it is important to pair it in a way that makes sense, and that makes it more accessible.  Yellow and black are great, but often too reminiscent of bumble bees (especially if you're a child of the 90's) to pair in an obvious way.  Yellow and navy are classic, and I'm seeing a lot of yellow and gray, which is also fantastic, and fabulous.


The boots are the most exciting thing about this outfit.  I had totally forgotten about these boots until I was searching for new boots on Zappos last night, and cultivating a favorites list.  I cannot believe that I had left them under the bed for so long this season!  It never fails, though, every year I always forget about them.  I bought them years ago from Bluefly, and they've been standbys for pants with longer hems.  They're about 2-1/2" heels, which I think are the highest heels I own.  I love them because they're classic, and they go with everything, including dress pants.  I haven't tried them with tights and a skirt, and I don't think they'll work for that, because they're a little taller than I think an ankle boot would work with tights.  I may try though.

This shirt is my first foray into purchasing at Plato's Closet.  I had never heard of one until about last year, when I had all kinds of clothes to sell/get rid of because I was turning over my wardrobe quickly after weight loss.  There was one in a neighboring city about an hour away, and so I packed up 2 laundry baskets full, and hauled off.  They purchased $6 worth of my items.  I was furious.  Later, I found out that they were coming to my town, and now, knowing their MO for buying/selling, I could make it work a little better ($20-some the last go-round).  I am still skeptical of their clothing and sale price--having been totally spoiled by paying $4 per top at Goodwill, seeing $14 on a price tag for a top was a bit of sticker shock.  It's all a matter of perspective.  However, I got an email from the other city's store, announcing $1 clearance items a few weeks ago, but unsure if the store events translated across to different locations (they do!).  THAT is something that I couldn't pass up.  But, I missed it, and I will have to wait for the next sale.  This top was on clearance--$10 down to $5.  That, I can do.  I bought it specifically with this sweater in mind, knowing I have been looking for the right yellow to go with this cardi, as I had mentioned before.  (I'm still looking for the spruce color, too).  But, then, I was going through my wardrobe in my mind, and realized how versatile a shirt like this will be.

Outfit: Merona gray fairisle cardi; Loft mustard ruffle-bib short-sleeve dobby pullover; Levi's jeans; BCBGirls Cindie boot (from Bluefly)

No comments:

Post a Comment