Thursday, December 18, 2014

Timelessness & Quality

I've come to find that thrifting is good to meet a number of needs.  1) It allows me to buy inexpensive clothing that I may consider "disposable".  I might get a wear or two out of a particular item, and find that for whatever reason, it's just not living up to my expectations.  Maybe it's hard to wash (I'm looking at you, fuzz-producing-navy sweater), or doesn't fit quite right, or it was good for one specific event or outfit.  2) I can buy high-end items at a discount price.  I have the ability now, to own several pairs of Banana Republic or JCrew pants.  Or a vintage Pendleton skirt.  The beauty of this, is that higher-end brands and pieces generally utilize higher-end fabrics and construction.  That camel hair cardi probably looks as good today, as it did the day it was made.

This skirt, I think, is one of my favorite finds.  Let me just say that there was a time, long ago, that I could not stand pink.  Ever as a kid.  I avoided it like the plague.  Now, I find it versatile, bright and cheery, and it's a color that works well on me.  The color of this skirt drew me to try it on in the first place.  But, as I inspected it more closely, I began to really pay attention to its detail.  Wow.  100% wool.  Look, it was made in Italy.  Holy cow, the zipper was hand-sewn on.  My mother, a longtime hobby-seamstress (she made my wedding dress), happened to be in town when I brought this home, and we examined it in great detail, marveling at its quality.

Long story short, this is a skirt, knit of 100% wool, made in Italy, fully lined (in silk) with hand-sewn zipper & hidden waist closure (unlike any I've ever seen in the 'states).  We determined that this skirt was probably a part of an awesome 1960's skirt-suit a la Jackie O.  It may even have been bespoke for some fine lady.  It is beautiful, and in impeccable condition.  I definitely consider it a prize.

Outfit: Pink straight wool knit skirt; August Silk black silk turtleneck; black opaque tights (I think they're the super-opaque ones from Target?); Franco Sarto 'Carta' boots (bought new recently); black & white ikat print scarf (Plato's Closet)

No comments:

Post a Comment