Tuesday, September 16, 2014

A little about me

Well, we already know that I don't consider myself especially fashionable.  Even now, with yellow pants.  Surely, some of it has to do with the area that I live in.  Folks here wear Chacos & jeans more than Loubotins and pencil skirts.  It's just that culture.  And, frankly, I'm ok with that, because it means that I don't have to attempt something at that level of fancy (and likely fail).

I'm just a girl.  I work fulltime outside of the home.  I have two sons who are 4 and 6.  My husband is a prominent leader of an organization for which we both volunteer, but he works fulltime outside the home too.  Our volunteering venture is just our hobby (but it's also how we met, more than 15 years ago!)  We are lucky enough to have had fulltime in-home caregivers for our kids since our oldest was 1.  The nanny model-of-care is something that helps us to both pursue both our careers, and our volunteer passion.


I work in a business-casual/casual environment.  On almost any given day, I can be appropriately attired in jeans & a nice shirt, but I do like to dress up a little more.  Part of why I started this blog is to help myself visualize what I have, and how I can make it all work for me.  How can I make my nicer workwear look more fun than boring?  This helps me to experiment!

A large part of my job, though, is public interface.  I probably meet with walk-ins with questions probably once every other day or so.  Beyond that, there are almost no days without scheduled meetings, either.  Some are very formal, some are not.  On top of that, I have to be prepared most days, to be able to work in the field for inspections.  I could be out on a construction site in the morning, and before a board in the afternoon.  My wardrobe has to be flexible enough to accommodate all of these eventualities.

My volunteer pursuit fills most of my otherwise unaccounted-for time.  And, when I'm not doing that, I'm gardening, or cooking, or cleaning, or otherwise keeping our house together!  I love to hike and camp with my family, and I am looking to get back into crossfit after busy schedules and sub-optimal health sidelined me for nearly a year.

We lead a really busy life, and I've often thought that I could accomplish just about everything I need to, if I could just have a few more hours per day, or another day in the weekend.  But, short of finding those pots of gold, I just keep rolling, steering the family away from chaos as much as I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment