So, there's a lot of fine-tuning when it goes to selecting items for purchase. I buy from thrift stores because it means that I can have a big rotation of clothes from which to choose, without having to have invested large amounts of money for any one thing. When I started shopping thrift, it was in part because I had no idea how long I would be at a particular size. Maybe a month, maybe 6 months. It was hard for me to tell how much life I would get out of a particular piece of clothing as I was still losing weight at a rapid and steady speed. Now, that's not a problem, but I have enjoyed the variety and selection that I can get at the thrift stores. What it also means is that I don't have to pay full price for high-end items that I wouldn't otherwise have been able to afford. I've never purchased anything from Banana Republic. But I love to live off the cast-offs from people who do!
The clothes are not always current season. In fact, a lot of times, they usually aren't. But, my fashion tastes aren't so cutting-edge enough that anyone is going to notice (even me) that the top I am wearing came from 2011, for example. And sometimes, it means that you find very classic, vintage pieces that have been well-maintained and are timeless. Like the navy blue wool, fully-lined Pendleton skirt I found last winter. It needs to be hemmed to fit me better (right now it's just below my knee, which, as a petite, isn't the best length for me). But, it was in impeccable condition, and it will never go out of style.
So, what do you look for? My decision algorithm is a little complex, but it's critical for thrift-shopping: Does it appear to be something that I would wear? Is it the right size? Could it be altered to fit better? Is it damaged? Could it be repaired? Do I love it?
Sometimes there are things that fall outside this criteria. If I get to the end of the decision tree, and "Do I love it?" is left, sometimes the answer isn't a resounding "YES!" But, the item may be something to fill a hole in my wardrobe, or may have some other application.
But, it goes something like this.
No comments:
Post a Comment