Thursday, September 25, 2014

The List

Earlier, I wrote about sometimes having a set plan in mind when heading into the thrift stores.  I often find myself trolling "Everything" on Pinterest, and finding some really cute and wearable fashion ideas.  I try to keep a running list of individual items that I would like to add to my wardrobe based on the things that I see, and am willing to try.  I try not to get wrapped up in a specific piece, but rather, the components of the item.  There's no reason for me to want even a $30 gingham shirt from Gap, when any gingham will do.  I tend to revisit these lists whenever the seasons change, and I find myself with last year's clothes no longer fitting.  Hopefully, as my size stabilizes, I won't get caught in the "last year's clothes are too big" game.  But even so, styles and trends change, and everyone's wardrobe can use a little refreshing with "new" items.


Currently on my list:

Colored pants: navy, kelly green, hot pink.  Of these, the navy is the priority, and ideally, I would like them to be corduroy.  I also need new chocolate brown and/or camel/tan cords.

Blazers: I found a beautiful teal velveteen Halogen blazer last year, and got quite a bit of wear out of it.  I also found a navy and white pinstripe wool blend Gap blazer (that was new with tags!), and a vintage brown velveteen blazer last year.  I would love to find a brown tweed or glen plaid blazer, and I would also love to find a shrunken-style (or just little boys') navy blazer.  I don't wear them often, but sometimes, they're exactly what an outfit needs, especially on the coldest days

Button-down shirts: I am still on the lookout for a fitted, crisp white button-down.  I have a little boys' white Oxford cloth, but it's boxy, and so it is hard to get a refined look with it (but untucked under a sweater is perfect).  I also want a navy/white gingham check shirt, and would also love a polka-dot shirt too.  Also, chambray.

Cardigans: I am always on the lookout for cardis.  They really are a staple in my wardrobe, and I wear them all the time.  They're great for managing fluctuating temps when I need a short sleeve or sleeveless shirt in the afternoon, but something on my arms in my office, and in the morning.  Noticeably absent from my cardigan collection is a chocolate brown cardi.  I am also always looking for printed/patterned cardis too.

Scarves: Never did I ever think I would need more scarves in my life.  But I do.  What a great fashion accessory!

Work pants: While I do work in a casual environment where it is perfectly appropriate to wear jeans, I do need work trousers on occasion.  If for no other reason than to mix it up a little.  I currently have no black trousers at all.  I have varying shades of gray, but my favorite dove-gray pants are now too big, and probably so much so, that they are un-alterable.  I also am not 100% satisfied with my charcoal gray pants, but I have 2 pairs that will suffice.  I have several pairs of very fall/winter-looking brown patterned trousers (plaids, herringbone, tweed), but nothing solid colored.

Skirts: Just last year, I began to wear skirts and dresses again for the first time in ages.  I purchased my first pencil skirt from Target at the end of last winter, and it has served me well, and I love it.  So much so, that I need more skirts in that shape.  I never thought I could make a pencil skirt work, but they're a lot more forgiving than I ever imagined.  I am on the lookout for all manner of skirts, but most specifically, pencil or a-line skirts in tweed, corduroy, denim and bright colors.

Recently scratched off the list: white pants; gray skirt; trouser jeans.


There most certainly are other things that I look for.  But I'm always on the lookout for these items, and will enjoy crossing them off the list as I find them.

What's on your list?

P.S. I'm beginning to cultivate inspiration on Pinterest.  Be on the lookout for an official launch soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment